Who can participate?
If water utilities manage to reduce their electricity load for a short period or to shift load from the “peak hour” it immediately reduces the electricity costs. Almost no investments are needed to introduce the system. The payback time is typically just a few months.
Example: on the spot to the nearest minute the meter was installed, which collected data on consumption were analysed. Usually in case of DR the pumps and energy source (generator, battery, grid) are controlled remotely to get the most out of the system.
- Flexible system;
- needed technical installation for EUR 0;
- A new source of income;
- Access to 60 times more accurate than usual consumption data;
- lower the price of water to consumers;
In cooperation with the building maintenance manager the existing systems and the demand response participation possibilities will be reviewed. A detailed plan with a risk analysis will be drawn up. The managed cooling and ventilation equipment and heat pumps within the building will be amended by using frequency converters between 50 to 30 Hz.
In addition to the existing 1h resolution interval meters, 1min resolution meters are installed which allows to track the building’s electricity consumption 60 times more accurate.
Through the consumption management it is possible to reduce the electrical load in the building by 200 kW four minutes in advance
In office buildings usually BMSs (Building Management System) are used and the Energia Juhtimiskeskus’s devices (PiP) will be connected to them. Both are easy to adjust, for example:
– turning them off, for around 15 minutes or 60 minutes or by reducing their load for a specified period of time, depending on the situation. It must be remembered that switching off the ventilation system must not change the indoor climate of the building and it has be done so that building occupants do not feel any change.
– It is easy to switch off the electric heaters for an agreed time. The construction of the building has usually a sufficiently large inertia to allow switching them off for at least 30 to 60 min depending on the weather conditions.
– with the cooling devices it is the same as with the heating devices. Depending on weather conditions the cooling devices can be switched off or their load can be lowered easily for up to two hours.
– If the building has several elevators it is easy to let one of them stand still for half an hour. This can, of course, not be done, at the most “busy” times, which we put down in our system. If one of the three lifts does not work, give a note to not put it into the program at that day and the comfort level for the office staff remains the same.
In cold stores it is easy to adjust compressors that produce cold. In cold stores, there are certain moments in time where is enough inertia to switch off the cooling devices or to lower their load for up to 120 minutes.
The hospital has been constructed in 1984 and has 596 beds. The hospital foundation followed three goals with the demand response program:
- To enhance the hospital’s security of supply through using the backup generators and emergency batteries.
- To create a new and continuing income for the hospital.
- To improve the hospital’s use of energy and reduce electricity bills.
- Annual cost savings through energy trading revenues: 125 000 EUR;
- Zero setup costs
- The system works without interfering with the main activity, which is a matter of life and death in hospitals;
- CO2 emission reductions;
- Access to real-time energy monitoring and improved possibilities of change;
For server rooms or server farms electricity supply is vital. That is why such buildings or rooms are usually well equipped with backup generators and accu banks. This backup gives plenty options of load management to create additional income and to reduce costs. If you have accu banks or backup generators in your building contact us and we will show you how you can take advantage of their opportunities. This will be better than ever.
Shopping centres are usually bigger electricity consumers because of freezers, fridges, ventilation and lighting.
For all of these devices it is possible to successfully regulate the load so, that quality and comfort remain unchanged and at the same time to achieve significant savings in electricity costs. In shopping centres we can reduce the cost of electricity by approximately 10-20%. Where will you invest your saved money?
Summary – If different consumption places, such as hotels, hospitals, industries, etc. participate in the demand response program it can be very short notice a negligible influence on the amount of electricity consumption in the republic. This means, that it is possible to avoid the construction of expensive and polluting electrical power generation units, which are expected to cover peak hour electricity demand or if the production of renewable energy is unstable.
What is the most important thing – businesses receive savings on energy costs and earn profit from the electricity market.